Tuesday 2 September 2008

First Post

Well, I'm here in London and I have finally found some time to sit down and write this. I'll try to keep posting at a fairly consistent rate.

Work is good. I'm in the credit risk department at UBS. Everyone on my team is nice and easy to work with. There are 6 of us total. Basically we receive queries from all across the bank whenever there are problems with the credit reporting systems and we have to go in and investigate what the issues are. I have to know how to work about 15 different systems and how they all integrate with each other. I'm also in contact with a lot of the Credit Officers and traders, so it's pretty good networking as well. I have to be there at about 8:30, which means I need to leave my apartment around 8. It's not a bad walk either, and if it rains, there is a direct bus.

My apartment is pretty nice as well. 2 bedrooms, 2 baths, a large living room and kitchen with dishwasher and washing machine. Unfortunately, the washer doesn't really work, so I'm going to have to visit a laundromat sometime soon. My roommate is nice. His name is Scott and is from South Carolina. I also have two girls flatmates. They are Marlina and Ginnie and are nice as well. We hardly see each other since everyone is so busy with different things.

Well, I'm busy getting adjusted to British life. I need to register with a GP (local doctor), sort out laundry, figure out food and shopping, and a bunch of other stuff. I've met some pretty cool people here as well. Some of us went to Brighton last weekend, which is along the southern coast, and the weather was amazing. That was fun, but working the British coach system was kind of difficult. We also have a trip planned to Barcelona, Spain in early October.

I think things are shaping up pretty well here so far. I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing and looking forward to a great year.

No comments: